アルンウィック城

アルンウィック城


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

ノーサンバーランドのアルンウィック城は、イギリスで最大の城の複合体の1つであり、700年以上にわたって有名なパーシー家の歴史的な家でした。 「北のウィンザー」として知られるアルンウィックは、最も著名なプレーヤーの足跡をたどって、イングランドの中世の過去を垣間見ることができます。

アルンウィック城の歴史

アルンウィック城は、1096年にノーマンの貴族イヴォデヴェシによって最初に設立され、その初期の頃、スコットランドのデイヴィッド1世による捕獲を含め、スコットランドによる頻繁な砲撃に直面していました。 1215年、アルンウィックは、イヴォの曾孫であるユースタスデベシが彼に対して陰謀を企てていたという告発を受けて、ジョン王によって取り壊されるように命じられました。ありがたいことに、これらは実行されませんでした。

14世紀には、パーシー家に売却され、大規模な建築プロジェクトに着手し、アルンウィックをスコットランド国境沿いの主要な要塞に変えました。政治的影響力や軍事的功績から、スキャンダラスなロマンスや火薬の計画まで、パーシーズは長い間、イギリスの歴史の舞台で強力でありながら反抗的なプレーヤーでした。

家族の中で最も有名なメンバーの1人は、シェイクスピアの戯曲ヘンリー四世で不死化された猛烈な騎士、ハリー「ホットスパー」パーシーでした。 1403年に彼はヘンリー4世に対する反乱を引き起こして戦いで亡くなり、彼の像は今日アルンウィック城に立っています。

他の反抗的なパーシー家には、ホットスパーの父、リチャード2世の追放を助けた第1伯爵ノーサンバーランド、1536年にヘンリー8世に対して北部諸侯を率いた第7伯爵ノーサンバーランド、1605年の悪名高い火薬陰謀事件の1人であるトーマスパーシーが含まれます。パーシーの伝承の別の魅力的な物語では、ノーサンバーランドの第6伯爵であるヘンリーパーシーはかつてスキャンダルを引き起こし、ブーリンが悪名高いヘンリー8世と結婚する前に正式に分離された組合であるアンブーリンと結婚することを意図していました。

アルンウィック城自体は、エドワード4世への誓いの忠誠によってパーシーズに戻される前に、ヨーク朝とランカスター朝の間で何度も争われた薔薇戦争の間を含め、何年にもわたって多くの行動を見ました。

今日のアルンウィック城

今日、アルンウィック城はノーサンバーランド公爵の居城であり、現在の所有者もパーシー家の一員です。訪問者は、城の印象的な写真コレクション、礼拝堂、およびアルンウィック城とより広いノーサンバーランド地域の両方の歴史を祝う一連の美術館を探索するように招待されています。ポンペイのフレスコ画や古代エジプトの遺物など、家族の考古学的な功績による古代の遺物も見ることができます。

隣接するアルンウィックガーデンでは、ポイズンガーデン、カスケードファウンテン、国内最大の樹上の家の複合施設の1つが特徴で、さらに興味深い訪問ができます。

最近では、アルンウィックはハリーポッターシリーズの映画セットとしても知られるようになり、季節ごとのツアーやテーマ別のアクティビティ(ほうきのトレーニングやアーチェリーなど)がフランチャイズのファンのために行われています。

アルンウィック城への行き方

アルンウィック城はノーサンバーランドのA1沖にあり、標識がよく整備されており、デンウィックレーンに駐車場があります。最寄りの鉄道駅はアルマスまで車で10分、最寄りのバス停はアルンウィックまで徒歩5分です。


アルンウィック

アルンウィック (/ ˈænɪk /(聞く) AN -ik)はイギリスのノーサンバーランドにあるマーケットタウンで、その伝統的な郡の町です。 2011年の国勢調査の人口は8,116人でした。

町はアルン川の南岸にあり、ベリックアポントゥイードとスコットランド国境の南32マイル(51 km)、北海のアルンマウスから5マイル(8 km)内陸、34マイル(55 km)にあります。ニューカッスルアポンタインの北。

町は西暦600年頃にさかのぼり、農業の中心地として栄えました。アルンウィック城は、最も強力な中世の北部男爵家、ノーサンバランド伯爵の家でした。それはエジンバラとロンドンの間のグレートノースロードのステージングポストであり、後に近くのニューカッスルアポンタインのベッドタウンになりました。 [ 要出典 ]町の中心部は比較的ほとんど変化していませんが、町はある程度の成長を遂げており、牧草地をカバーするいくつかの住宅団地と、南の道路に沿った新しい工場と貿易不動産の開発があります。


アルンウィック城-歴史

特定の時間にのみ開く

訪れるべき素晴らしい城。入り口には巨大な樹上の家と広大な庭園があり、その中心的な特徴は滝です。子供向けにはウォーターパークがありますので、着替えてください。城が完成し、州のアパートのツアーを行うことができます。

特定の時間にのみ開く

訪れるべき素晴らしい城。入り口には巨大な樹上の家と広大な庭園があり、その中心的な特徴は滝です。子供向けにはウォーターパークがありますので、着替えてください。城が完成し、州のアパートのツアーを行うことができます。

ノーサンバーランドのインウィック城は、以前のサクソン要塞の場所を再利用した可能性のあるウィリアム征服王の支持者であるギルバートタイソンによるノルマン征服の直後に建てられたモットアンドベイリースタイルの砦としてその生活を始めました。城は、ギルバートの孫娘の結婚を通じて、1096年にIvo deVesciの手に渡りました。 Ivo de Vesciは、モットの上にシェルキープを構築し、東と西に2つのベイリーを配置しました。 1138年、城はIvo deVesciの一人娘と結婚したEustacefitzJohnの手に渡りました。ユースタスとその後の息子ウィリアムの支配下で、城の要塞は、1172年にスコットランド王ウィリアム1世による攻撃に耐えられる程度に改善されました。スコットランド王が1174年に再び城を攻撃したとき、彼は捕らえられました。英語と後に彼の自由を取り戻すための条約に署名した。

1309年、アルンウィック城は、ダーラムの司教であるアンソニー・ベクからヘンリー・ド・パーシー卿によって購入されました。ヘンリーはすでにヨークシャーの裕福な地主であり、ノーサンバーランドに土地が追加されたことで、彼の家族はイギリスで最も重要なものの1つになりました。パーシー家はスコットランド人との絶え間ない戦争に巻き込まれた。その後、ヘンリーと彼の息子の指導の下で、小さな裁判所を囲む7つの半円形の塔のある砦を含む大量の再建作業が行われました。入り口を保護するための新しいゲートハウスと、2つのアウターベイリーの周りのいくつかの塔も建設されました。

1433/4年、ヘンリー6世は、スコットランド人による攻撃から町を守るために、壁に囲まれる許可をアルンウィックの町に与えました。しかし、その仕事のために資金を集めることは困難であり、それが完了するまでに何年もかかりました。最終的に壁が完成し、ボンドゲート、クレイポート、ポッターゲート、ナロウゲートの4つのゲートで保護されました。ボンドゲートは残っている唯一のゲートです。

19世紀半ば、アルンウィック城は2人の建築家、ルイジカニーナとアンソニーサルビンの指導の下で大規模に修復されました。サルヴィンは、ウォーリック城を含む多くの城の修復を担当しました。城の外観は、内部を完全に改造しながら、あまり変更せずに巧みに修復されました。

アルンウィック城は、ハリーポッターの映画「ハリーポッターと賢者の石」でホグワーツ魔法魔術学校のロケ地として使用されました。


グレートブリテンハウス:アルンウィック城&#8211ハリーポッターによって有名になったノーサンバーランドの象徴的な城

適切な英国料理がありませんか?次に、British Corner Shop&#8211何千もの高品質の英国製品&#8211(Waitrose、Shipping Worldwideを含む)に注文します。今すぐ購入するにはクリックしてください。

アルン川のほとりの緑豊かな牧草地を見下ろし、ノーサンバーランドの小さな町アルンウィックを支配しているのは、アルンウィック城の広大な中世の要塞です。中世を通してさまざまな戦いや包囲が行われた城の、はっきりとした劇的な外観は、豪華なビクトリア朝の内部と美しい庭園とは対照的で、アルンウィック城は「英国のベルサイユへの答え」と呼ばれています。

アルンウィック城に関する重要な事実

  • ノルマン征服後、早くも1096年にアルンウィック城の敷地内に城が建てられました。
  • 城は1309年以来パーシー家の本拠地であり、家族のメンバーは現在も城の一部に住んでいます。
  • ウィンザー城に次ぐ、アルンウィック城はイギリスで2番目に大きな人が住む城であり、年間80万人以上が訪れます。
  • アルンウィック城は、ハリーポッター映画の撮影場所として使用されたことで21世紀に有名になりました。

家の歴史

アルンウィック城の初期の歴史は、陰謀、反乱、包囲、降伏に満ちています。城は、1096年にアルンウィックの男爵イヴ・ド・ヴェシーによって最初に建てられました。スコティッシュボーダーズに近いため、1309年にパーシー男爵のヘンリーパーシーが男爵と城を購入するまで、城はスコットランドによって繰り返し包囲されました。ヘンリーと彼の息子、パーシー男爵の2番目の男爵は野心的な任務を負いました。アルンウィック城をささやかな石造りの城から今日の主要な宮殿の要塞に変えた建築工事。

パーシー男爵の第1男爵と第2男爵は、中庭の周りに設置された塔のクラスターで構成される巨大なシェルキープを囲むアウターベーリーの形で一流の広大な城を作成しました。この野心的な建築プロジェクトは、軍事要塞の要件と高等社会の家族のニーズのバランスを取り、14世紀を通じてその後の城の改修に影響を与えたと言われています。

パーシー家はシャルルマーニュの曽祖母の子孫であり、中世を通してイングランド北部で最も強力な領主でした。パーシー男爵の孫であるヘンリー1世ノーサンバランド伯は、リチャード2世の王位を奪うのに大きな役割を果たしました。その後、彼は報復としてアルンウィック城を破壊すると脅したヘンリー4世に反抗したが、ありがたいことに、決して破壊しなかった。城は1403年にアンリ4世に降伏しました。

血まみれで長引く薔薇戦争の間、アルンウィック城はランカスター軍に何度も捕らえられました。ヨーク家とランカスター家がヘンリー7世とヨーク朝のエリザベスの結婚によってようやく統合されると、アルンウィック城の軍事的重要性は衰えました。その後に続いたのは、完全な回復によって成功した放棄の期間でした。建物の外観は変更されていませんが、内部は完全に変形されています。 1760年代、当時の第一人者であるロバートアダムスは、ストロベリーヒルのゴシック様式を使用して城の内部を改修するために雇われましたが、彼の通常の新古典主義の作品とは完全に対立していました。

ターナーが描いた城

100年も経たないうちに、ノーサンバーランド公爵4世がロバート・アダムスの内部をすべて破壊し、城の個室をアウターベーリーから砦に運ぶという野心的なプロジェクトで城を改造しました。大階段が組み立てられ、州の部屋に通じていました。州の部屋は、イギリスで最も美しく、最も複雑に装飾されたビクトリア朝の部屋のいくつかになりました。推定25万ポンドの費用で、第4公爵はアンソニーサルビンを雇ってプルードホータワー、新しいステートルーム、キッチン、そしてインナーワードの新しいレイアウトを建設しました。

次に、彼はイタリアのルイジ・カニーナと彼のアシスタントのジョバンニ・モンティローリを雇い、退廃的なイタリアンスタイルでこれらの新しい追加を飾りました。フィレンツェの彫刻家アントン・ブレッティも、イタリアの職人技の方法で27人の地元の男性を訓練するために雇われました。アルンウィック城の個室、細かく刻まれたコーニス、額縁、家具の作成はこれらの男性の仕事であり、彼らが仕事で学んだスキルは、アルンウィック職人技学校として知られるようになりました。

アルンウィック城の上部警備室と図書館には、ティツィアーノ、カナレット、ヴァンダイク、セバスティアーノデルピオンボなどの芸術家の宝物や、ベーコン、ニュートン、シェイクスピアの胸像があります。サロンと応接室には、複雑に彫られた幾何学的な天井と、イタリアから輸入された壮大な暖炉があります。 ピエトラデュラ キャビネット。ノーサンバーランドの第1公爵夫人と公爵夫人は、ダイニングルームの暖炉に掛けられた一対の絵画で不朽の名声を博し、完全に保存された大規模で完全に保存されたマイセンディナーサービスに目を向けています。

今日、現在の公爵と彼の家族はまだ城に住んでいますが、広大な建物のごく一部しか占めていません。夏の間、城の一部は一般に公開され、城の3つの塔では、主に軍事史、考古学、古典史をテーマにした特別展が開催されます。

アルンウィック城を有名にする理由は何ですか?

アルンウィック城は、英国で最も訪問された荘厳な家の1つです。城の大きさと、14世紀に劇的に拡張されて以来、比較的変わっていないという事実により、この城は国内で最も優れた中世の城の1つになっています。ノーサンバーランド公爵夫人ジェーンパーシーは2003年にアルンウィックガーデンを設立しました。このガーデンには、噴水、木の家、カフェ、「毒のある庭」があります。アルンウィック城は、ハリーポッターシリーズのホグワーツ魔法魔術学校の外部と内部の両方の撮影場所として、21世紀に世界的に有名になりました。

テレビや映画で紹介されました

  • ダウントンアビー(2010)TVシリーズ
  • ハリーポッターと秘密の部屋(2002)
  • ハリーポッターと賢者の石(2001)
  • エリザベス(1998)
  • アンティークロードショー(1997)TVシリーズ
  • ロビンフッド泥棒の王子(1991)
  • スコットランドのメアリー女王(1971)
  • ベケット(1964)
  • 炎と剣(1954)

さらなる研究

  • ジェームズ・マクドナルド(2012)アルンウィック城:ノーサンバーランド公爵夫人の故郷
  • ダン・ジョーンズ(2013)The Plantaganets
  • ノーサンバーランド公爵とリチャードA.ロマス(1999)土地の力:パーシーズ
  • リチャードA.ロマス(2007)パーシー家の崩壊

訪問情報

アルンウィックキャッスルアンドガーデンズは、3月から10月の午前10時から午後5時30分まで一般公開されています。城と庭園への入場料は、大人1人あたり14.50ポンド、子供1人あたり7.50ポンドです。


地域のインディジョーンズ映画としてのバンバラからニューカッスルまでの北東部の最高の城

北東部が得意とすることの1つは、実際には城です。このテーマに関しては、私たちは世界クラスです。

そのうちの2つは最近ニュースになり、ノーサンバーランド経済をタイムリーに後押ししています。

今週、ハリウッドのアイコンであるハリソンフォードが主演するインディ・ジョーンズ5の撮影が始まったため、バンバラ城がハリウッド映画のセットにどのように変化したかを報告しました。

そして、アルンウィックの南20マイル未満で、スタートレックのクリスパインとワイルドスピードのスターミシェルロドリゲスをフィーチャーしたカメラがダンジョンズアンドドラゴンズのために転がっていました。

イングランド北東部に点在する城は、この地域の古代の好戦的で時には血なまぐさい過去を物理的に思い起こさせます。

バンバラ城の中核はノルマン時代に建てられました。この場所は何世紀にもわたって軍事行動の現場であり、エルシド(1961年)やエリザベス(1998年)などの長編映画で使用されてきました。

ノーサンバーランド公爵の居城であるアルンウィック城も11世紀に建てられ、ハリーポッターの映画のいくつかに登場し、観光地としての知名度を高めています。

しかし、地方の首都にその名前を付けた「新しい城」に焦点を当てたことについて、私たちは謝罪しません。

キャッスルキープの起源はノルマン時代にあります。

それは時代を超えて誇らしげに座っており、スコットランド軍の侵略からビクトリア朝時代の鉄道の普及まで、多くの脅威を乗り越えてきました。

それは、何世紀にもわたる通過に逆らって、まだタイン川の上にひそかに迫っている建物です。

キープは、ローマ時代から約2、000年にわたって占領されてきた防御が容易な場所に立っています。

最初の城–ニューキャッスルアポンタイン–は、ウィリアム征服王の長男であるロベール2世によって1080年に設立されました。

1168年から1178年の間に、元のモットアンドベイリー構造はヘンリー1世によって1,144ポンドの費用で石に再建されました。

建設中、スコットランドのウィリアム「ライオン」が侵略を主導しましたが、捕らえられて城に閉じ込められました。

後の世紀に、城の重要性は低下し、荒廃する前にノーサンバーランドの郡刑務所になりました。

17世紀にイギリス内戦が激化し、スコットランド人が再び脅威となったため、城は部分的に再建されましたが、1810年までに事実上廃墟となりました。

その年にニューカッスルコーポレーションによって購入され、復元され、3年後に一般に公開され、鉄道の普及に道を譲るために解体をかろうじて回避した1847年から1849年の最後の戦いに勝ちました。想像してみろ!

大小を問わず、有名な城とそうでない城の10の北東の城のアーカイブ写真をお楽しみください。

アーカイブ写真が満載で、使いやすい画像色付けツールを備えたメモリレーンの地元の歴史のウェブサイトをチェックすることを忘れないでください。

10の北東の城

1965年、クラスターハーバーの桟橋の端からノーサンバーランドのダンスタンバラ城に向かう行楽客

1972年、ダラム州チェスタールストリートのラムリー城で馬上槍試合をする騎士たち


近くの家を訪ねる

プレストンタワー

チャットヒル、ノーサンバーランド、NE67 5DH

ホウィックホール

アルンウィック、ノーサンバーランド、NE66 3LB

バドルホール

バンボロー、ノーサンバーランド、NE69 7AJ


アルンウィック城と庭園に関する10の興味深い事実と数字

適切な英国料理がありませんか?次に、British Corner Shop&#8211何千もの高品質の英国製品&#8211(Waitrose、Shipping Worldwideを含む)に注文します。今すぐ購入するにはクリックしてください。

同じ名前の町の近くにあるアルンウィック城はノーサンバーランド公爵の居城であり、1309年に第1男爵パーシーのヘンリーパーシーが男爵領を購入して以来、城の最初の部分はパーシー家の所有より200年以上前のものです。歴史的記録の建設は1096年にさかのぼります。現在でも、城の一部に住んでいるパーシー家が所有していますが、残りは観光名所やロケ地になっています。城に付属しているのは、現在のノーサンバーランド公爵夫人によって始められたプロジェクトであるアルンウィックガーデンです。庭園は2001年に最初にオープンし、観光客を引き付ける多くの展示や設備を含むように拡大しました。

これまでに見た

アルンウィック城は、映画やテレビのロケ地として頻繁に使用されています。それを利用した作品には、ベケット、ブラックアダー、イヴァンホー、エリザベス、ダウントンアビーなどがあります。さらに、ロビンフッドの適応に非常に人気のある場所であり、ロビンオブシャーウッド、スタートレック:次世代(エピソード「QPid」)、ロビンフッド:泥棒の王子、リドリースコット監督のロビンフッドで使用されています。その最も有名な撮影用途は、賢者の石と秘密の部屋の両方で使用されたハリーポッターの映画から来ています。

有毒

アルンウィックガーデンは26エーカー以上をカバーし、多くのユニークな特徴があります。さらに興味深いのは、2004年から庭園の一部であり、多くの致命的で危険な植物が生息しているポイズンガーデンです。庭のより致命的な住民の中には、とりわけ、ナス科、ジギタリス、クリスマスローズ、ユーフォルビア、マンドレーク、ヘレボルスがあります。銅のヘビが霧を空中に吹き付けて、ポイズンガーデンに神秘感を加えます。公爵夫人がこのセクションを「訪問者が植物の致命的な側面について学ぶ場所」にしたかったので、これらすべての致命的な植物を持っている理由は教育目的のためです。

それらの野生と狂気のスコットランド人

11世紀のアルンウィック男爵であるイヴ・ド・ヴェシーは、スコットランドからの侵入から保護するために城とその要塞を建てました。城は1172年と1174年にスコットランド王ウィリアム1世に二度攻撃されたので、それは良い動きであることがわかりました。ウィリアムはアルンウィックの戦いでの2回目の試みの後に捕らえられました。彼はヘンリー2世への忠誠を認める条約に署名することを余儀なくされました。この条約は、1189年にリチャード1世によって、第3回十字軍へのリチャードの参加に対して支払うために10,000シルバーマークで取り消されました。

過去を掘り起こす

城の展示の1つは、考古学に対するさまざまな公爵の関心に焦点を当てています。ポンペイのフレスコ画、エジプトの遺物、さらにはローマ時代の作品も含まれています。

それは魔法の場所です

最初の2つのハリーポッター映画に登場した後、城に対する一般の関心を最大限に活用して、いくつかの展示やイベントはポッターをテーマにしています。ハリー、ダンブルドア、ハグリッドに扮したキャラクターを見るだけでなく、城では中庭で映画の上映やほうきの訓練も行っているので、子供たち(そしてあなた)はフーチ夫人がハリーに教えたのと同じ場所で飛ぶ方法を学ぶことができます。ジョン・グリーン博士はまた、中世の錬金術師の役割を果たしながら、魔法のトリックと実験でいっぱいのショーを行います。

二位

「北のウィンザー」のようなニックネームで、アルンウィックがウィンザー城に次ぐイギリスで2番目に大きな人が住む城であることが簡単にわかります。さらに、それは今でも住居として機能している最大の中世の城です。
有能な庭園

城の元々の庭園は、1750年にランスロット「ケイパビリティ」ブラウンによって設計されました。第二次世界大戦中、パーシー家は独自の野菜を栽培することで戦争努力を支援する役割を果たしました。ノーサンバーランドの現在および第12公爵夫人であるジェーンパーシーは、デザイナーのジャックとピーターウィルツの助けを借りて、1997年に4,200万ポンドの費用で現在の庭園のプロジェクトを開始しました。今日、この庭園は英国で3番目に訪問者の多いパブリックガーデンです。

非常に教育的

もちろん、現在のノーサンバーランド公爵夫人は、城が教育目的で使用されたことを確認した最初の人物ではありませんでした。第二次世界大戦中、ニューカッスルアポンタインチャーチハイスクールフォーガールズは城の一部を使用しました。 1945年から1977年にかけて、教師養成機関であるAlnwick EducationCollegeがそこに設立されました。 1981年以来、ミネソタ州セントクラウド州立大学はアルンウィック城と提携して、大学の学生がノーサンバーランドに来て城で勉強することを可能にするプログラムを提供しています。

とても多くの部屋

アルンウィック城には150を超える部屋がありますが、一般に公開されているのはそのうちの6つだけです。展示品に加えて、豪華なステートルーム、応接室、ダイニングルーム、図書室が一般公開されています。図書館のコレクションは400年以上前に始まり、現在16,000冊以上の本が含まれています。城の残りの部屋は、セントクラウド州立大学プログラムまたはパーシー家によって使用されています。

木の高いところ

ツリーハウスは、訪問者が一連のロープ橋や歩道を通って到達できるアルンウィックガーデンの最も顕著な特徴の1つです。店内には、暖炉と木々が床から天井まで伸び、建物の自然との調和を強調したレストランがあります。ツリーハウスには、適切な名前のThe PottingShedというバーもあります。

これを共有:

ジョン・ラボンについて

ヒッチハイカーガイドには、ジョン・ラボンについて次のように書かれています。時間と空間を旅するふりをしたり、バナナを食べたり、物事が「素晴らしい」と主張したりしないとき、ジョンはノースカロライナに住んでいます。そこで彼は働き、執筆し、ドクター・フーとトップギアの次のエピソードを熱心に待っています。彼はまた、良い映画、良いクラフトビール、そしてドラゴンとの戦いを楽しんでいます。たくさんのドラゴン。


アルンウィック城

アルンウィックは、ほとんどの偉大な城と同様に、1066年にヘイスティングスで殺されたサクソン人であるギルバートタイソンの孫娘と結婚したイヴォデベシから始まる一連の所有者を抱えています。中庭は、アルンウィックが千年の大部分の間要塞であったことを訪問者に思い出させます。アルンウィックとその城の男爵領は、14世紀までデ・ヴェシの手に渡り、スコットランドのデイヴィッドとウィリアム1世の手に断続的に失踪しましたが、ヘンリー1世の治世中はユースタスフィズジョンが城でした。オーナー。彼はその時代のdeVesci相続人と結婚し、息子のWilliamが母親の名前を引き継ぎました。

Ivoは、材木からモットアンドベイリー城を建設しました。これにより、不幸なサクソン人が土を動かし、溝を掘っていたと推測できます。 2つのベイリーがありました&#8211 1つは東に、もう1つは西にありました。何年にもわたって、中央のシェルキープとデベシの2つのベイリーに要塞が追加されました。 1135年までに、ノーサンバーランドで最も強力な城の1つになりました。実際、1172年にライオンが城を包囲したとき、ウィリアム・デ・ベシから城を占領することはできませんでした。 1174年にライオンはそれをもう一度試み、イギリス人に捕らえられました。ウィリアムがアルンウィックのドアを叩くのに多くの時間を費やした理由の一部は、彼が元々ノーサンバランド伯であったが、ヘンリー2世が約20年前に彼からそれを取り除いたためです。おそらくそれが、ウィリアムが1173年にヘンリー2世の息子とその女王によるヘンリー2世に対する反乱に加わった理由です。ウィリアムは自分がニューカッスルに、そしてそこからノルマンディーに束ねられていることに気づきました。ウィリアムはヘンリー2世を封建的大君主として認めることを余儀なくされ、エドワード1世がスコットランド王に名前を付け、スコットランドの封建的大君主になる権利を主張したとき、そうすることでスコットランド独立戦争の種をまきました。

ジョン王とひどくうまくいかなかったド・ベシス。城が1213年に破壊されなかったのは幸運でした。ウィリアム・デ・ベシは翌世紀のバノックバーンの戦いで相続人なしで亡くなったため、王はそれをダーラムの司教であるアンソニー・ベクに売却し、ヘンリー・ド・パーシーに売却しました。 De Vesciには非嫡出子がいて、ヨークシャーの土地を生まれながらの息子に渡すことができました。

パーシーズは、戦利品または身代金のいずれかのスコットランド戦争からの収入に基づいて、かなり多くの再建を行いました。内側の出入り口の上にそびえる2つの巨大な八角形の塔は、1350年頃に建てられました。この再建の段階には、7つのU字型の塔を備えた砦の再建が含まれていました。城はすべての所有者によって次々と強化されていましたが、これはパーシー家が最も裕福であった時期であり、好戦的な隣人がいるという現実は要塞が良い投資であったことを意味しました。

これらの2つのベイリーの周りの外壁は、5エーカーの地面のようなものを囲んでいます。壁にはいくつかの塔と砲塔があります。そのうちの1つには給水塔があり、城の洗濯が行われたのはここでした。砦の入り口近くの中庭にもかなり細かい井戸があります。コンスタブルの塔は一般に公開されています

パーシー家の運命は、薔薇戦争とチューダーの加入によって衰退しました。アンジューのマーガレットは、夫の王国の足掛かりを維持するために、タウンの余波で300人のフランス軍をアルンウィックに駐屯させていました。マーガレットの軍隊がワーウィック伯爵の軍隊からの脱出を成功させるために、その特定の機会に駐屯地の救助に乗ったのはスコットランド人でした。

簡単に言えば、彼らは強力な君主がしっかりと抑制し続ける必要のある非常に強力な主題でした。しかし、彼らは国境での役割を果たし続けました。 1513年にさかのぼるアルンウィックマスターロールは、フロドゥンでパーシーの色の下で戦い、スコットランド人との遭遇を生き延びた男性を特定します。スコットランドとの戦争がないときは、断続的な襲撃がありました。 1528年、たとえば14人のスコットランドのレイバーがアルンウィックで絞首刑にされました。しかし、彼らの遺伝的役割である監視員でさえ、もはや安全ではなく、伯爵は必ずしも国境戦争のために切り取られていませんでした。

パーシー家はかつてほど裕福ではなく、1567年にジョージクラークソンが城の査定を依頼されたとき、それは目的に適さないと見なされました。おそらく、現金の不足は、カンバーランド伯爵とレオナルド・デイカーと共謀してエリザベス1世に反抗して北を上げる前に、伯爵が考慮すべきことでした。

1569年、ノーサンバランド伯爵がカンバーランド伯爵とともに反乱を起こし、イングランドをカトリックに戻すために問題が頭に浮かびました。アルンウィックの人々は反乱に巻き込まれた。ダーラムを占領し、そこでミサを祝ってからパーシーのヨークシャーエステーツに進軍した後、反乱軍の数は急速に減少しましたが、アルンウィック城は女王の軍隊に耐える準備をしていました。ハートリプールはまた、アルバ公がスペイン軍を上陸させるためのセーフハーバーを提供する目的で反乱軍に捕らえられました。スペイン大使は、彼らが彼らのベンチャーに成功するチャンスがなかったとすでに共謀者に言っていたことに注意する必要があります。

ジョン・フォレスター卿(または出典によってはフォースター)が国の東側にイギリス中3月の守護者として到着したことで、伯爵の入居者は城を手渡して自分の家に急いで行くことができました。フォレスターはまた、反乱軍に加わったかもしれない男性が、考えがすぐに逃げ出した伯爵と合流できないように、峠を封鎖した。

18世紀から19世紀にかけて、中世の要塞を荘厳な邸宅に変えるために多くの再建が行われました。ファッショナブルなことは言うまでもなく、城をより住みやすいものにするようロバート・アダムに依頼したのは、ノーサンバーランド公爵の主な住居となったのは1750年代でした。 19世紀に、サルヴィンはさらに多くの修正を加えるように任命されました。4番目の公爵はロマンチックな色合いで彼の城が好きでした。イギリスで2番目に大きな人が住む城であり、当時の家族が賞賛したゴシック様式のイタリアンスタイルを反映しています。


アルンウィック城-歴史

私たちについてアルンウィックの物語を語る私たちの素晴らしいエリア

&#8220アルンウィックの物語を語る&#8221のメモと情報源

これらのノートでは、本は著者名で参照されており、詳細は参考文献に記載されています。著者が複数の本に言及している場合、それらは出版日によって区別されます。

Lomas、2009年は、多くの有用な資料を含む北東部の一般的な百科事典です。ノーサンバーランドの歴史は、1893年から1940年の間にノーサンバーランド郡歴史委員会によって発行された15巻でカバーされています。これらは、テイトによってすでに説明されたアルンウィックをカバーしていません。はるかに短い歴史はHeppleです。

Alnwickにとって、Telling the Storyで述べたように、最も重要な2冊の本はTateとConzenです。テイトは彼の2巻の仕事のためにアルンウィックについての膨大な量の情報を集めました、そしてそれは物語の歴史を提供するというよりむしろ実際にソースブックです。コンゼンは都市形態学の学術作品であり、初期から町の発展に関連したオリジナルの作品が含まれています。初期のアルンウィックの歴史は、19世紀の初めである彼自身の時代の町の説明が特に役立つデイヴィソンによって書かれました。一般的に、より役立つのはSkellyによる2巻です。 1830年代については、ミドルマスも参照してください。

For buildings, see Pevsner and the Historic England website (www.historicengland.org.uk) which includes information on all listed buildings.

A further source for 1854 and later are local newspapers. The Alnwick Mercury was first published in that year. Its name changed to the Alnwick & County Gazette in 1883. It became the Northumberland & Alnwick Gazette in 1943 and assumed its present name, the Northumberland Gazette in 1947.

A general introduction to the prehistoric period in Northumberland is provided in the English Heritage book by Waddington and Passmore. The archaeology of the Northumberland coast, covering both prehistoric and later periods, is described by Hardie and Rushton and archaeology in the Northumberland National Park is the subject of a collection of essays edited by Frodsham. This last book covers all periods.

Howick Hut – This is included in Waddington and Passmore. More about the hut can be found on the website www.ncl.ac.uk/howick/main.

Low Hauxley – Waddington, 2014 describes the excavations carried out at Low Hauxley in 2012.

Cup and Ring Marks have been catalogued by Beckensall.

Hillforts – Oswald and others describe hillforts principally within the Northumberland National Park.

Ptolemy’s description of the tribes of Britain (and elsewhere) is in his gazetteer and atlas of the Greco-Roman world, called Geography. A recent discussion of some aspects of the Votadini (or Uotadini) and their (possible) successors, the Gododdin, can be found in Fraser. There is little reliable information about either.

While there is an immense literature on various aspects of Hadrian’s Wall, little is known about the area just to the north apart from the Roman Roads. Roman roads, in Britain generally, are discussed by Davies. For the wall, Breeze and Dobson discuss its history and role. The end of the wall is discussed by Collins. See also Frodsham.

Devil’s Causeway – the line of the road, originally deduced by MacLaughlan, was subject to amendment for the five miles south by investigations in 1937-8. These are described by Wright. Gates and Hewitt describe the newly identified temporary camps.

Anglo-Saxons and Vikings

Recent accounts of the Kingdom of Northumbria are those by Rollason and Higham. Much is also to be found in the first two volumes of the New Edinburgh History of Scotland by Fraser and Woolf respectively. (Northumbria was, of course, partly in present day Scotland). The ancient sources are Bede (Ecclesiastical History of the English Church and People) and, after his death, the works attributed to Simeon of Durham (A History of the Church of Durham and A History of the Kings of England).

The kings of Northumbria, as well as the other Anglo-Saxon kings are discussed by Kirby and by Yorke. Bede is the main, and almost the only, source for Oswald. All aspects of Oswald and his time are covered by Stanbrooke. His brother and successor, Oswiu is covered in detail by Fraser. The encyclopedia edited by Lapidge and others is the good starting point for all things Anglo-Saxon. There are many books about the Lindisfarne Gospels (such as Brown).

Rothbury and Alnmouth crosses – these have been catalogued, and discussed, by Cramp. The catalogue entries are also available on the Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture website (www.ascopus.ac.uk/catvol1.php).

Alnwick Sword – the Portable Antiquities Scheme’s website (www.finds.org.uk/database/artifacts/record/id/557262) describes the sword.

戦い of Carham – The entry in Lomas 2009 describes this battle.

Vikings – Woolf devotes chapter 2 of his book to the Scandinavians and Northumbria.

Lomas 1996 covers the history of Northumberland from 1066 until 1647.

Death of Malcolm – The chronicles describing this event include those by Gaimar (L’Estoire des Engleis), Fordun (History of the Scottish Nation) and the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. The Alnwick Abbey Chronicle is in Dickson.

The Norman conquest of the north is described by Kapell. He names Eustace Fitz John as the first baron of Alnwick, although Hedley names Ivo de Vesci, Eustace’s father-in-law. We have no information about Ivo and Eustace seems the more likely. The Barony of Alnwick (and other local baronies) was plotted by Hunter Blair.

Alnwick Castle – For the development of the medieval castle see Goodall. There is also Hartshorne and, of course, the Castle Guidebook.

Anglo-Saxon village of Alnwick – The location of the village was deduced by Conzen on the basis of the underlying geology and geography. Although he thought that the area around the modern market place the more likely, his alternative was around today’s Bailiffgate.

Alnmouth – The story of Alnmouth is covered by Bettes and Bettes. Almouth is one of the new towns discussed by Beresford (as is Felton). There was a chapel at Alnmouth associated with the parish church at Lesbury.

Alnwick Chapel – The foundation charter of Alnwick Abbey tells us that the parish church at Lesbury together with its chapels at Longhoughton, Alnmouth and Alnwick were given to the Abbey. Clarkson’s survey (of 1567, quoted in Conzen) tells us that a building in the Market Place, then three shops, was formerly a chapel. As no building earlier than Norman has been found at the present parish church, this is a likely candidate for the Anglo Saxon chapel.

Alnwick Abbey – The excavation of the Abbey site was carried out in 1884 by Sir William St John Hope. This was in the early days of archaeology and he was only able to establish the ground plan, and the only remaining building is the 14 th century gatehouse. St John Hope, 1889 describes the abbey. See also Bondgate 2, and for the Premonstatensians in England, Colvin and the appropriate chapters of Knowles.

Eustace Fitz John and the Vescis – Eustace’s career is described by Dalton and all of the Vescis (including Eustace) by Stringer. See also various articles in The Bondgate, in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and The Complete Peerage of England.

戦い of the Standard – the early account, written sometime before 1154, is by Richard of Hexham (The Acts of King Stephen and the Battle of the Standard).

William the Lion – the capture of William at Alnwick is described in Jordan Fantosme’s Chronicle (of the war between the English and the Scots in 1173 and 1174). See also Oram.

Magna Carta – Eustace de Vesci’s important role in the events leading to Magna Carta is discussed by Carpenter.

St Leonard’s Hospital – Pattinson gives an outline of its history and 1975 excavation.

Hulne Priory – St John Hope, 1890 describes the priory with some historical background. For the English Carmelites see Knowles.

Sale of the barony of Alnwick – Hartshone is highly critical of Bishop Bek’s role. A more recent discussion is by Bean.

Percys – for the history of the Percys see Lomas 1997 (and for 1368-1408, Lomas, 2007), Rose and the Alnwick Castle Guidebook.

Invasions by William Wallace and Robert the Bruce – these are described by McNamee and Scammell respectively.

Wars of the Roses – the description follows Lomas, 1996.

Border Reivers – Fraser is a good general source.

戦い of Flodden – the 500 th anniversary (2013) led to much interest and archaeological investigation. A modern source is Hallam-Baker and the Flodden Project website (www.Flodden.net).

Fortifications – Alnwick walls are discussed by Skelly 1896 and by Conzen. Northumberlan’s bastles are covered by Grint.

Rebellions – additional sources are Moorhouse (Pilgrimage of Grace), Thornton (rising of the northern earls) and the website (www.jocobite.net) for the 1715 rebellion.

Guilds & Freemen – the main source is Tate, who was himself a freeman and underwent the initiation ceremony of leaping the well. Skelly 1889 is also useful.

Alnwick Castle and grounds – besides the Alnwick Castle guidebook, the castle restorations are described by Worsley. For the grounds see Shrimpton 2006.

Pages 28 – 39: The District at Work

Agriculture – the bondagers are described by Iredale.

Fishing – for Grace Darling see the website www.gracedarling.co.uk and the RLNI’s Grace Darling museum in Bamburgh.

Manufacturing – the website www.fishingmuseum.org.uk/hardy contains information about Hardy Brothers.

Printing and publishing – Isaac outlines Davison’s life and work and the collection of essays in Brake (and others) consider all aspects of Stead’s life and work.

Ports and harbours – the corn road is described by Rowland and, as a CD guide to travelling along the road, by Grundy. For Alnmouth itself, see Bettess.

Railways – the history of the line from Alnmouth to Alnwick is covered by Rippon and the Alnwick and Cornhill Railway is described by Addyman and Mallon.

Pages 40 – 50: Nineteenth century town

The official report quoted is Rawlinson. Information about the fire brigade comes from a survey conducted by Young. Middlemas is the source for Percy Forster and his book includes all the Forster drawings.

1826 election – for the details of this election see the history of parliament website www.historyofparliamentonline/volume/1820-1832/constituencies/northumberland

Reform – Findlayson gives a general background to municipal reform though with no mention of Alnwick. Both Tate and Middlemas describe the Alnwick background.

Cholera – Full details are contained in the official report by Rawlinson. The “ghostly appearance” of the time is described by Tate who lived in Fenkle Street.

Local Board of Health – Both Tate, a member of the Board from its inception until his death in 1871, and Skelly 1889 describe the work of the Board.

教育 – Skelly 1889 describes the town’s schools and educational institutions.

Games and Pastimes – see Middlemas. Alnwick’s annual shrove Tuesday football match is the subject of the Bailiffgate Museum’s DVD, the Lads and Lasses of Alnwick.

Page 51 – 54: World Wars and after

Hall 2014 outline Alnwick in the first world war and Hall 2013 described the remains of both wars.

For early chronicles, see note 1 at end of bibliography.

Alnwick Castle Guidebook – see Shrimpton

Bean, J M W The Percies’ Acquisition of Alnwick

Beckensall, Stan Prehistoric Rock Art in Northumberland

Beresford, M W New Towns in the Middle Ages

Brake, Laurel, and others (editors) W T Stead: Newspaper Revolutionary

Brown, Michelle P The Lindisfarne Gospels: Society, Spirituality & the Scribe

Carpenter, David Magna Carta

Colvin, H M The White Canons in England

Conzen, M R G Alnwick, Northumberland: a Study in Town-Plan Analysis

Cramp, Rosemary Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture: County Durham and Northumberland

Oxford University Press, 1977

Davies, Hugh Roads in Roman Britain

Davison, William Descriptive and Historical View of Alnwick

Dickson, William Cronica Monasterij de Alnewyke

Fraser, James From Caledonia to Pictland: Scotland to 795

Edinburgh University Press, 2009

Frodsham, Paul Archaeology in Northumberland National Park

Gates, Tim and Hewitt, Richard Some Newly Discovered Roman Temporary Camps in Northumberland and their Relationship to the Devil’s Causeway

Goodall, John The Early Development of Alnwick Castle, c1100-1400

In: Newcastle and Northumberland: Roman and Medieval Architecture and Art, British Archaeological Association Conference Transactions XXXVI

Grint, Julia Bastles: An Introduction to the Bastle Houses of Northumberland

Grundy, John The Corn Road from Hexham to Alnmouth (CD travelogue)

Hall, Ian Relics of War: a Guide to the 20 th Century Military Remains in the Northumnerland Landscape

Hall, Ian Alnwick in the Great War

Hallam-Baker, Clive The Battle of Flodden: Why & How

Remembering Flodden Project, 2012

Hartshorne, Charles Henry Feudal and Military Antiquities of Northumberland and the Scottish Borders

Hedley, W Percy Northumberland Families

Hepple, Leslie W A History of Northumberland and Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Hunter-Blair, C H Baronys and Knights of Northumberland AD1166 – c. AD1266

Iredale, Dinah Bondagers: The History of Women Farmworkers in Northumberland and South-East Scotland

Glendale Local History Society, 2008

Isaac, Peter C G William Davison of Alnwick: Pharmacist and Printer 1781-1858

Kapelle, William E The Norman Conquest of the North: The Region and its Transformation, 1000-1135

Knowles, David The Religious Orders in England

Cambridge University Press, 1948-59

Kirby, D P The Earliest English Kings

Lomas, Richard County of Conflict: Northumberland from Conquest to Civil War

Lomas, Richard. A Power in the Land: The Percys

Lomas, Richard The Fall of the House of Percy, 1368-1408

Lomas, Richard An Encyclopaedia of North-East England

MacLaughlan, Henry Memoir Written during a Survey of the Eastern Branch of Watling Street.

McNamee, C J William Wallace’s Invasion of Northern England in 1297

Middlemas, Keith As They Really Were: the Citizens of Alnwick 1831

Moorhouse, Geoffrey The Pilgrimage of Grace: the Rebellion that shook Henry VIII’s Throne

Northumberland County History Committee History of Northumberland

Oram, Richard Domination and Lordship: Scotland 1070 – 1230

Edinburgh University Press, 2011

Oswald, Al, Ainsworth, Stewart and Pearson, Trevor Hillforts: Prehistoric Strongholds of Northunberland National Park

Pattinson, Tom Saint Leonard’s Hospital Alnwick: Outline History & Excavation Report

Pevsner, Nicholas The Buildings of England: Northumberland

Penguin Books, 1957. 2nd edition, revised by John Grundy, Grace McCrombie, Peter Ryder, and Humphrey Welfare, 1992

Rawlinson, Robert Report to the General Board of Health, on a Preliminary Enquiry into the Sewerage, Drainage, and Supply of Water, and the Sanitary Condition of the Inhabitants of the Townships of Alnwick and Canongate in the County of Northumberland

Rippon, Bartle The Alnwick Branch

Rollason, David W Northumbria, 500 – 1100: Creation an Destruction of a Kingdom

Cambridge University Press, 2003

Rose, Alexander Kings in the North: The House of Percy in British History

Rowland, T H The Alemouth or Corn Road: Alnwick – Alnmouth

St John Hope, W H On the Premonstratensian Abbey of St Mary, at Alnwick

St John Hope, W H On the Whitefriars or Carmelites of Hulne, Northumberland

Scammell, Jean Robert I and the North of England

Shrimpton, Colin A History of Alnwick Parks and Pleasure Grounds

Shrimpton, Colin Alnwick Castle

Hudson’s Heritage Group, 2012

Skelly, George A Historical Guide to Alnwick, and its Immediate Neighbourhood

Alnwick County Gazette, 1889

Skelly, George Alnwick in the Past, being a Review of the Habits and Customs of the Inhabitants of Alnwick in the Early Part of the 18 th Century, together with an Historical Description of the Various Churches and Other Places of Religious Worship, and the Old Buildings of the Town

Alnwick and County Gazette, 1896

Stanbrook, Clare and Cambridge, Eric Oswald: Northumbrian King to European Saint

Stringer Keith J Nobility and Identity in Medieval retain and Ireland: The de Vecsy Family, c1120 – 1314

In: Britain and Ireland 900 – 1300, edited by Brendan Smith

Cambridge University Press, 1999

Tate, George The History of the Borough, Castle and Barony of Alnwick

Thornton, George The Rising in the North

Waddington, Clive Rescued from the Sea: An Archaeologist’s Tale

Woolf, Alex From Pictland to Alba 789 -1070

Edinburgh University Press, 2007

Worsley, Giles Alnwick Castle, Northumberland

Wright R P The Devil’s Causeway from Rimside Moor (Longframlington) to Bridge of Aln

Yorke, Barbara Kings and Kingdoms of Early Anglo-Saxon England

Young, Charles Frederic Fires, Fire Engines and Fire Brigades

Note 1: Early Chronicles

A number of early chronicles are referred to in the notes. Details of these are:

Alnwick Abbey Chronicle – see Dickson. This includes an English translation.

Anglo-Saxon Chronicle – this is made up of a number of annals written in a number of monasteries. There are a number of translations available such as G N Garmonsway’s published in 1954 (2 nd edition).

Bede The Ecclesiastical History of The English People. This was translated by Bertram Colgrave in 1969. It is available with introduction and notes in Oxford World’s Classics Series, 1994.

Fordun – John of Fordun’s Chronicle of the Scottish Nation (Chronica Gentis Scotorum) is a 5 volume work ending in 1153. There is a free ebook available in a translation by W F Skene published in 1872.

Gaimar – Geoffrey Gaimar’s (rhyming) L’Estoire des Engleis was written 1136-40. It contains much material taken from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

Jordan Fantosme – Fantosme’s Chronicle of the War between the English and the Scots in 1173 and 1174 is available as a free ebook in a translation dating from 1840.

Richard of Hexham – The Acts of King Stephen and the Battle of the Standard was translated by J Stevenson and included in volume IV of his Church Historians of England, 1856.

Simeon of Durham – the two books attributed to Simeon (A History of the Church of Durham and A History of the Kings of England) were probably written by a series of monks at Durham. They are also available in translations by J Stevenson and included in Church Historians of England.

The Bondgate, the magazine of the Alnwick and District Local History Society, it has been published twice a year since 2008. It contains articles relating to the local history of the Alnwick area.


‘Dirty Bottles’ and Titanic’s sister ship

As an important coaching stop on the Great North Road, between London and Edinburgh, Alnwick had a good share of inns for the traveller. Today several of these remain, including the Old Cross Inn (now called ‘Dirty Bottles’) in Narrowgate which is famous for the dirty bottles in the window. The dirty bottles have been here for two centuries from the unfortunate day the innkeeper died while placing them there. The innkeeper’s wife attributed his death to the bottles which she believed were cursed.

The Dirty Bottles Alnwick. Photo © David Simpson 2018

Superstition has it, that whoever tries to move these dirty bottles, will be cursed with bad luck. The widow claimed that whoever touched them would be sure to die soon after. Since that day the window has never been cleaned and the bottles have remained untouched.

Another of Alnwick’s well-known inns is the White Swan, within which we find the elegant lounge ballroom from a ship called the ‘Olympic’. This was the sister ship of the ‘Titanic’ and the huge room was rescued from the ship when it was scrapped at Wallsend on Tyne. It was beautifully restored and installed in the inn with all its fittings.

White Swan Inn. Alnwick Photo © David Simpson 2018

Malcolm’s Cross, Denwick and Rennington

Across the river north of Alnwick is the village of Denwick, named from its situation in a dene or valley – presumably that of the neighbouring Denwick Burn. Nearby to the west but also north of the river is Malcolm’s Cross, a stone cross of medieval origin that was restored in the eighteenth century.

Malcolm’s Cross commemorates the death of Malcolm Canmore (Malcolm III), King of the Scots who lost his life here at Alnwick during an invasion of the north, on November 13, 1093.

Malcolm was killed at the hands of the forces of Robert De Mowbray, Earl of Northumberland. He was apparently tricked by Mowbray’s nephew, Arkil Morel. The king’s body was taken to Tynemouth and then buried in the newly established Norman priory church there. There is some debate as to whether his body was later returned to Scotland.

Over the road just south of Malcolm’s Cross are the ruins of the medieval chapel of St Leonard’s Hospital. It was built for the protection of King Malcolm’s soul, sometime between 1193 and 1216.

About three miles from Denwick across Rennington Moor to the north, is the village of Rennington. It is thought to be named from Raegnwald, one of the carriers of St Cuthbert’s coffin in Anglo-Saxon times. Today the village is noted for its annual Scarecrow Festival where villagers compete to construct the best dressed and best designed scarecrow.

Hulne Priory near Alnwick, a Victorian view

Hulne Park

Aln is a river-name of Celtic origin, dating to the time of the ancient Britons and of course gives its name to Alnwick. East of Alnwick the river flows beneath the A1 and continues on towards the sea which reaches at Alnmouth, passing the villages of Lesbury and Hipsburn on the way.

Heading in the other direction following the River Aln upstream to the immediate north west of Alnwick, the valley setting is dominated by the extensive and beautiful landscaped grounds of Hulne Park. Hulne would seem to be a variation of the name ‘Aln’. Much of the park features woodland and was landscaped by the famed Northumbrian-born gardener Lancelot Capability Brown, who hailed from the village of Kirkharle to the west of Morpeth.

At the entrance to Hulne Park is the William the Lion stone, which marks the point where that king of Scotland was captured besieging Alnwick in 1174. It seems that King Malcolm wasn’t the only Scottish king to run out of luck at Alnwick.

As the river passes through Hulne Park it provides a setting for two ruined abbeys that both lie on the north side of the Aln. Nearest to Alnwick are the remains of Alnwick Abbey, a foundation of the Premonstratensian order established in 1147 by Eustace Fitz John and his wife Beatrice, who was the daughter of Ivo De Vesci. Little remains except for the prominent abbey gatehouse.

Further upstream are the more extensive ruins of Hulne Priory (in actual fact a friary) of the Carmelite order of White Friars. It was established in 1240 by Ralph Fresborn on land granted by William De Vesci. The site was chosen due to the apparent similarity of a nearby hill to Mount Carmel from which the order took its name.

On the south side of the river on the mentioned hill is Brizlee Tower, erected in 1781 for ornamental reasons, probably to the designs of the first Duke of Northumberland. The curious name Brizlee is some kind of reference to gad flies.

Edlingham Castle. Photo: ©2018 David Simpson

Eglingham and Edlingham

Near Brizlee, the River Aln is joined on the north side by the quiet valley of the Eglingham Burn which leads upstream, to the attractive stone-built village of Eglingham about four miles to the north west. The village is situated only a couple of miles from the neighbouring valley of the River Breamish. The village church which is dedicated to St Maurice is said to have been built on the site of an earlier church founded by Ceolwulf, the King of Northumbria who reigned 729-737 AD.

Eglingham is thought to take its name from an Anglo-Saxon called Ecgwulf but as with many places containing Anglo-Saxon personal names we know nothing about the individual. Eglingham Hall, in the village, is part Jacobean and was visited by Oliver Cromwell as the guest of its then owner, Henry Ogle, during the Civil War.

In the moors just south of Eglingham, the Ringses Camp is a prehistoric circular contour earthwork with ramparts and traces of hut circles. Other prehistoric settlements can be found scattered in and around neighbouring Titlington, Titlington Mount, Titlington Wood and Titlington Moor all to the south and situated between the Eglingham Burn and River Aln.

A little over two miles south west of Brizlee, the Aln is joined by the valley of the Edlingham Burn on the south side. The village of Edlingham is about three miles along the Edlingham Burn valley. Edlingham means ‘the ham (or homestead) of Eadwulf’s people’. It is a name that demonstrates Anglo-Saxon roots but the village church, dedicated to St John, is Norman.

Like Eglingham (six miles to the north), Edlingham’s church is thought to be located on the site of a church founded by King Ceolwulf of Northumbria. In the 1680s, the village was inhabited by a Margaret Stodhart who was supposedly a witch but it seems that this poor lady simply suffered at the hands of idle gossip, speculation and hysteria.

Northumbrian scenery with the Cheviot Hills in the distance viewed from the Rothbury to Alnwick road. Photo ©2018 David Simpson

North East of the church we find the ruins of Edlingham Castle, an extensive pele tower established by John, son of Wealden in the twelfth century during the reign of Henry II. There is a good view of the castle from the Rothbury to Alnwick road (B6341) and this road also offers splendid panoramic views of the Northumberland countryside from Corby’s Crags just to the east of Edlingham.

Whittingham

Returning north to the confluence of the Edlingham Burn and Aln are the villages of Abberwick and Bolton which are respectively situated on the south and north sides of the river.

A couple of miles up the river to the west the Aln passes beneath the A697 which at this point follows the course of the Roman Road called the Devil’s Causeway. Nearby, a mile to the south of the river traces of a Roman fort of unknown name have been found at a place called Learchild. This peculiar name dates from long after the Romans and means ‘Leofric’s slope’.

Whittingham village and tower. Photo: ©David Simpson 2018

Another mile along the River Aln to the west we reach the village of Whittingham, which gives its name to Whittingham Vale, the term for the upper dale of the River Aln.

Whittingham (from the Anglo-Saxon ‘Hwitta’s People’s homestead’) is divided into two halves by the River Aln so that it almost seems like two villages. The village church, on the north side of the river, is dedicated to St Bartholemew and dates from the Anglo-Saxon era but little remains from that time as it was almost completely rebuilt in 1840 by the architect John Green. Over on the south side of the river, there is a small village green and a medieval pele tower that was restored in the 1840s.

Whittingham has long been noted as the site of a fair an event of much merriment for the local farming populace:

Are you going to Whittingham Fair,
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Remember me to one who lives there,
She once was a true love of mine.

Tell her to make me a cambric shirt
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Without any seam or needlework,
For once she was a true love of mine.

The above song is one of a number of variants of a well-known English ballad. The best-know of these is undoubtedly the version known as Scarborough Fair.

Callaly Castle to Alnham

To the south of Whittingham we find the extensive Thrunton Wood and Thrunton Farm where a notable Bronze Age discovery, the ‘Whittingham Sword’ was once found. Close by to the west is Callaly Castle which has been described by Nikolaus Pevsner as “One of the most interesting and varied houses of Northumberland.”

It is essentially a thirteenth century pele tower that was extended as a mansion house in 1676 and 1835. In early times the pele had belonged to the Callaly family and later belonged to the Claverings who lived here from the thirteenth century until the nineteenth century when it was acquired by the Brownes. Castle Hill, in the woodland just east of the castle is the site of a prehistoric fort.

Just over a mile and half north of Whittingham is the village of Glanton at a half way point between the valleys of the River Aln and the River Breamish. However, we continue west up the valley of the Aln past Eslington Hall and Eslington Park on the north side of the river. The hall dates from 1720 and was built by the Liddels of Ravensworth who also resided at Ravensworth Castle in the Team Valley near Gateshead. Eslington Hall stands on the site of an old border pele tower associated with the Eslington, Haselrigg and Collingwood families.

Continuing west along the valley, neighbouring farms and hamlets include Yetlington, Little Ryle and Unthank (one of a number of places of this name in the region) before we reach the little village of Alnham. Here at Alnham on the edge of the Cheviot Hills, the River Aln commences its journey to the sea.

The village church of St Michael at Alnham is mostly Victorian replacing an earlier church of around 1200. There is a tower house, a former ‘vicar’s pele’ in the village and there was once a castle in the village still remembered in the name of Castle Farm. Castle Hill to the west of Alnham is the site of a prehistoric camp.

The Cheviot streams to the north of Alnham feed the River Breamish while those to the south and west feed the River Coquet near Rothbury.



コメント:

  1. Kadin

    まったく右!私にはとても素晴らしいアイデアだと思われます。完全にあなたと一緒に私は同意します。

  2. Eoin Baiste

    だからそれは起こりません

  3. Arazragore

    申し訳ありませんが、問題を解決しました

  4. Gajar

    私はこのフレーズを考えて削除しました

  5. Niles

    私はあなたが間違っていることを意味します。私はそれを証明することができます。 PMで私に手紙を書いてください、私たちはそれを処理します。



メッセージを書く